Thursday, October 13, 2016

Just an old parrot squalking


"Cookie" 83 years old Cockatoo living at Brookfield Zoo

In this contentious political election that has brought so much heated debate and vitriol to the forefront ( It’s like zombie road rage)  some characterize me as “Ostrich”  with my head in the sand.  Not so. I am more the sage old parrot sitting on my perch observing some around enrobing themselves in ignorance and stubborn disposition.  I watch, knowing in my experience that understanding means using ears more often than mouth.

I also learned long ago that my rights stop where yours begin and conversely. There is too much “me”  and “I” going on, and not enough “you” and us.

I am surrounded by friends, which I also know to be the best part of life. Sometimes that means I hold back in deference to that bond.  Not that I would lose it, because I am assured my friends also value me more than any position I may take.  Mutual respect is another of those things not used often enough .

But that doesn’t mean I don’t know what is going on around me. It doesn’t mean that I don’t have an opinion, And it doesn’t mean that my opinion is any less valid than yours is.

 I have already voted for Hillary Clinton to be our next President.  In my exercised vote from my choices, I have decided she is best able to represent our country and accomplish what needs to be done.  She isn’t untarnished. I recognize that.

Whatever your conviction, I hope you also vote your best choice.

I am proud to live my life as a citizen in this USA.  I do realize many, many people cannot say that. I understand many have rightful reason to that position.

I hope that January brings a marker that I can rededicate myself to being a better person , to listen more, to be more understanding and still stand to the spirit of my conviction in voice and deed. And I do hope that I can join others of the same bent, help the disenfranchised, do my part as good neighbor, and having even small influence in living with you in an ever better country ,  in my “parrot opinion” still the BEST country in this world, The United States of America.

For the time being this old parrot is still standing ground that it is of worth. Maybe not as vocal nor as active as earlier in life, but still holding out for us all to rise and be the best that we can be. That I’m still up for the effort to try for from my own perch

No comments: