Saturday, September 28, 2019

Fame



I only learned about “Street Fare Journal “ after the fact.  It wasn’t as much a “publication,   like a book,  but rather 102 11x28" typeset posters/placards of opaque black with translucent white lettering, that were placed in the above seat advertising slots on elevated trains and busses.  It started in 1984 and ran to 1997 in major US Cities,"arguably the largest and most successful public art program in U.S. history, delivering striking combinations of literature and visual art to an estimated 15 million riders daily in 16 major cities.  This story involves one of the first ever put up.




In 1984 , travelling on a Chicago Transit bus on a cold morning, I saw this poem slotted in on the lighted advertising banner on my #56 bus.  I was immediately drawn to the message.  It was a poem entitled “Fame” by Evanston (Chicago collar city) poet John Dickson 1916- 2009.  I immediately knew I could not live without this poem in my life.  It was right by the rear exit door.  Upon leaving the bus, I purloined the placard slipping it out of the retaining slots and putting inside my coat by my chest like a protected treasure.  


That poem resided in my home bathroom translucent paneled ceiling for almost 25 years, until I moved. I only had to look up to read it.  Now, it is in the kitchen window of my farm home , where it catches the light right in front of me as I stand at the sink.  Getting a bit scratched in the 35 years I have had it, it still provides inspiration to me and remains my favorite poem ever.
Every fall I am even more reminded of its meaningful message.  I have included the original here along with a more attractive readable version from Dickson's (now out of print) volume

So , here is the full powerful little poem that I have lived with for so many years- "Fame"



No comments: