Tuesday, June 26, 2018

The Fire Truck




I had a dream. 


I was about 8 years old.  At this age I coveted having a big red metal toy Tonka fire truck.  Hook and Ladder with crank up extending ladders, and a real operating siren.  Articulated with cab and trailer.  Real rubber tires.  It was just beyond cool.

It was just before my birthday and I went to bed.  I couldn’t wait any longer .  There was this box under my bed and I got it and opened it.  Oh gosh ! - It was my Hook and Ladder.  I took it out and started to play right then and there, cranking and wheeling it all around on the floor.  I was ecstatic.  I could have played all day, but then...

Mom woke me up.  Whaaat!  Where was my fire truck?  I threw off covers and looked under my bed.  Nothing.  The whole room revealed no fire truck.  I was crushed.  I asked Mom, “What did you do with my fire truck?”  

“What Fire truck?”  

“The one I just got for my birthday.  I just was playing with it”

“Jerry, honey, your birthday isn’t till next week and there is no fire truck.  You were just dreaming.”

“NO,” I was crushed.  That whole day I kinda sheepishly searched everywhere.  No fire truck.  But it was so REAL !  I was positive it wasn’t a dream.

But it was, and I carry that memory to this day.  I learned two things.  I have a very vivid and creative imagination, and that my dreams often bring much more than some semi conscious shuffling of a sleep-reorganizing brain.

I still wake up with ideas that have formulated in sleep .  I call them “messages from my muse”.  Some of my best writing has come from that “muse.”  If I rise from a dead sleep and go write the thoughts down right then, the next day I find some amazing notes and scribbles that have turned into some of my best poems and stories.  Even descriptions of  visualizations have often become paintings or drawings.  Reality from dreams.

I do not understand it,  but it is real and I have earned to honor it with respect.  If I do not write things down immediately, they will have dissipated into ether in the morning.  Gone forever.  There are never repetitions.

Then, there is my love of reading.  Yes,  I admit to being a movie buff.  I adore visualizations in film and in static art, but it is reading a book where my mind travels to places I otherwise would never see.  Places and people come alive.  When I see a movie adapted from a book I have read, it is but a pale image.  Color never as bright.  Places never as vibrant somber or radiant . People never as interesting or fleshed out.  I really get lost in books, I live in them,  and like that dream, they seem so real to me.  Equal to any reality in my waking hours , and, yes, in full color.

If interrupted out of a deep read, I am surprised and disoriented for a few moments, because my world has been destroyed. I want that image world back.  It was so real to me.  Just like when I played with that fire engine.

I embrace my psyche.  Whatever is generating up in my brain,  I consider a gift .  Even today, when I think about that old dream, I get a warmth, a pleasure, and comfort from remembering that cool Fire Engine, even if it never was real. 

 I have come to realize sometimes the best things in life aren’t .


-Jerry Wendt 2018


...and a small but pertinent note; This very story came from “My Muse” .  I wrote the idea down, out of a deep sleep late Sunday night, and read it this morning, thinking, “This will make a great story”.  So I sat down and wrote this.  What do you think?

No comments: